This blog is about delivering business excellence and operational efficiency through integration competency center models and about topics of SOA, Integration in the enterprise context.

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

SOA on its way out? Lets get ready for future

http://blogs.zdnet.com/service-oriented/?p=1168&tag=nl.e539 (Debate Rages over SOA's cloudy future - by Joe McKendrick)

I stumbled upon this article while reading some articles. As I read it, I heard a 'click' sound in my brain :-). My previous post of SOA's future, I speculated about fading of SOA's strongly hypothetical personality and come of age of BPM driven IT solutions.

As far as SOA is concerns, Joe makes precisely the same point of having more real forms of technical reforms like web-architecture, cloud computing etc. successful today while SOA as a whole still struggling to get into action for most of the businesses. As Joe says 'SOA is too hard to understand and does not lend itself to people just doing it'. I completely believe in it. I have heard lot of experts and practioners on SOA in last 4-5 years. By and large my opinion is that 70% of those drag the topic ultilately to web-services or similar technical topics. Rest of the 30% who tend to remain pure in terms of SOA as a concept also fail to bring realistic and implementation-level view-point on how IT can be transformed using SOA. So in nut-shell, SOA is loosing the differentiation it tried to create all these years but good thing is that because of this hype, some good technical innovation will happen that hopefully prove to be next-generation foundation when BPM takes over from SOA..We are alreadying seeing vendoring lowering their SOA pitch and slowly getting to BPM pitch in big manner...:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment